Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cassavetes is already there.

Monday, not long after publishing my triumph in the War of the Director's Wall (WOTDW), I sallied into Vulcan looking to rent the immenently fabulous Gremlins. Although not remembered as such, Gremlins is one of the best Christmas films ever made, along with It's A Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and Die Hard. As I browsed the shelves to see if I wanted to temporarily adopt a second film as well, I could hear the employees at the counter putting on a new film.

"Oh, man, good choice," one noted.
"Yeah, we'll have a mini-rest-in-peace,-Wes-Anderson marathon," someone answered back.
"Whoever that Teeney person is..."
"Yeah, once we find out..."

For a second I thought I was in trouble, but Sammy peeked his head into the "Action" section, where I was momentarily cowering. "They're not too happy with your email," he admonished me... then gave me a high five. A few minutes later, having decided I was only going to rent Gremlins, I made it up to the counter. Sammy took care of me, and told me that Gremlins was on him. I've apparently cemented some friendships... but likely sacrificed some others. Oh well, RIP, Wes Anderson.

Craigslist has lately been home to all sorts of bicycle goodness, this most importantly:
Yes. That is a wonderfully purple road bicycle. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who rides 54cm frames. I hope that someone will give this bicycle the home that it deserves it.

In other news, continuing my quest of Billy Wilder, I finally moved on to his Audrey Hepburn flicks. I had been dragging my heels on these, not because I really have anything against Hepburn, but because I beleive her achieved legendary cult status is... well, I think she's a bit overrated (the same way I also consider Andy Warhol overrated; strangely, the same people who obsess over Hepburn seem to similarly obsess over Warhol). While Hepburn seemed to hold little special during the majority of the film (she was supposed to be a little French girl, and while her father had a French accent, she most certainly did not, and I found this rathert irksome), yet I have to say that in the closing scene, she is perfectly brilliant.

I actually wrote this post, I think on Wednesday, and couldn't remember the rest of the things I wanted to talk about, so saved it and then was off the computer for a while. Here it is! Late and still lacking the things I forgot about. Ha.

No comments: