Thursday, February 19, 2009

February 19: It's a trap.

I've spent my Thursday watching Star Wars episodes four and six. "What the fuck, Teeney?!" you're probably saying. "Everyone KNOWS the Empire Strikes Back is the good one." Yeah, I know. And if we ever watch Star Wars together, you'll make me watch that one. Anyways, I've always loved The Return of the Jedi, since I can remember. My parents may have saved my life by making sure I grew up without a TV (but with the internet!), but they were still certain to make sure that I'd seen the Star Wars trilogy (and 2001: A Space Odyssey).

I don't remember a whole lot about that first time I watched the movies. I remember Greedo getting shot, I remember Luke losing his hand, and I remember loving the Ewoks. Who cares that I was, at that time, the Ewoks target audience? I also remember playing that Star Wars computer game about ten years ago on the family's aging Mac. I thought that game was the shit; computer game historians remember it differently.

In any case, I do enjoy seeing how much the characters have grown up from the fourth episode to the sixth. Luke has changes from a whiney little emo kid to an armed and capable whiney emo kid. Han is the same, except in love. Leia is the same, except she's in love and has a brother.

My mom likes to tell the story about episode six being released. Her enitre division at work took off to go see it. Her boss knew, but told them not to let anyone see them, as the other departments would have been upset. Coming out of the theatre was probably the only time anyone in my family has ever had to duck news cameras.

And what's this with Mandy Moore and Ryan Adams being engaged? I mean, WTF? I thought Mandy Moore was still all A Walk to Remember* and music videos with VW Bugs. But more importantly, I remember Ryan Adams--like Luke Skywalker--a whiney little bitch. I also remember his hair being this color. When did he go blond?

*WTF, IMDB?! 7.0!?

No comments: