Thursday, July 24, 2008

Work.

We have a rather old cash register at work. It's not one of those fancy shmancy computer dealies that everywhere else in the world has these days. Today, as I was ringing a woman up, it just suddenly stopped working. The display read "PP 0.00." I hit every button on the keypad. Nothing. I turned it off, then back on. Nothing. I tried all the different modes it has. Nothing. I called my manager, and she did the exact same thing, to no effect. I'm freaking out a little bit, like, "Holy shit, I broke the cash register. How the fuck are we going to be open if the register doesn't work? I guess we could just take credit cards. Man. I wonder what I did. God, I can't beleive I broke the register and ruined the store's day."

In the meantime, a girl had tried to bring a dress back. "I wore it twice and it has these holes in it... they had to have been there when I bought it because they're in such an odd place..." And I had to tell her no, and she begged. This was before the manager showed up (before the register had even broken), so I called her. "Well, offer her 20% off on her next purchase," she finally said. "But we can't take the dress back." The girl was upset, and I was sorry, but told her I didn't have any power to bend store policies.

So, at this point, I'm totally stressing out and feeling horrible because I told this girl she had to keep the dress and she was upset and then I'm thinking I broke the entire register.

When I'd come in, I hadn't noticed a little note taped to the wall with my name on it. I opened it, and it was a note from a guy I've met out a few times, first at the art party and then at the moonlight bike cruise. The guy with the incredible, bright yellow socks. Just a little "Hello," really, but something cute and sweet and--most importantly at that moment--cheerful.

It was just a really, really good morning for someone to have come in and left me a hello.

And no, the register wasn't broken. Apparently it just had a minor paper jam, and it was freaking out and frozen.

So everything was okay. :)

No comments: